Just when you think you know EVERYTHING …
Every single friend I have ever asked about parenting has confided in me how incredibly unprepared they were for the changes, emotions and physicality of being a parent. Let’s face it: parenting is a mind-bending, brain-melting and heart-thumping roller coaster ride on a full stomach. It is the greatest adventure (and the toughest battle) you will ever face.
If you stare into the mirror and wonder what the heck you have gotten yourself into, here are 13 things that will surprise you about parenting:
- Kids have zero logic and usually win the logical argument. Almost 100% of the time, kids win the argument with “because you love me.”
- Kids can literally spread a tablespoon of jam around the entire house in under 10 seconds.
- It is completely possible to wear your entire wardrobe in one day, in fact, it’s possible in one hour if your kid is sick.
- Your kids will magnify every single frustrating character trait of the people in your life.
- It is possible to flush just about anything down any toilet, and plumbers will love your kids for it.
- There is no such thing as the “terrible two’s.” The truth is every single age has something that will push you to the edge of your sanity.
- You will never ever know what the true edge of your sanity is because if you hit the edge of it, you will never return, and that’s not an option for parents.
- Kids can say, “Mom” 11 billion times in 30 minutes. Test it and get back to me.
- One morning, you will be completely OK with your kids looking like a pack of rainbow candies leaving the house and won’t even blink at the judgemental stares of other parents
- You will answer your kids with “Because I said so!” and feel utterly triumphant—until you realize you just heard your mother speaking out of your mouth.
- You will bribe your kids one day. It will be an epic bribe of all bribes.
- Spending the entire day in your pajamas takes on a whole new meaning when you’re a parent.
- You have no idea how deeply you can love and how much you can bear until you hold your baby for the first time, cry with your child over their first broken heart and wait for hours on end at a hospital murmuring every prayer you have ever known.
What surprised you the most about becoming a parent?
Have you lost your mojo as a parent? Are you struggling to get back the joy and laughter you had when you first became a parent? Wondering how you can be a great parent and set boundaries at the same time? Send me an email to [email protected] and let’s chat!